Please review all of our eligibility requirements before you apply for financial aid, and contact us with any questions. 


A student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen to receive federal aid. An eligible non-citizen is defined as:

  • U.S. permanent resident with a valid Alien Registration Receipt (I-151 or I-551).
  • Conditional Permanent resident (I-151).
  • Other eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
  • Other eligible non-citizen with a Temporary Resident Card (I-688).

Student in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, only a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or only a G series (pertaining to international organizations), are not eligible for federal student aid.

Financial Aid History

Applicants must not be in default on a federal loan or in overpayment status. They cannot have exceeded annual or aggregate loan limits. Students who have defaulted on loans or who owe repayments on grants at any post-secondary schools must have evidence that they have repaid their obligations in full or have entered into acceptable repayment arrangements before they can receive any further aid at Touro College.

Your personal financial aid history can be obtained by visiting the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website. You will need your FSA ID to access your account.

Financial Need

Applicants must demonstrate financial need, except for some loan programs.


Applicants must have a high school diploma, General Education Development Certificate (GED), or demonstrate the ability to benefit. Students need to be enrolled as matriculated students (may be less than half-time for Pell, but must be at least half-time for Cal Grants) and sign a statement of educational purpose on the FAFSA certifying that all federal student aid received will be used only for educational purposes. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students who receive financial aid must be enrolled in an eligible program and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by their academic program.

The Financial Aid Office, in consultation with the Registrar and the Office of Student Affairs, assesses students’ academic progress every term. Students whose cumulative GPA or/and pace does not meet the SAP standards set forth by their program will receive written notice when they are in danger of being placed on financial aid probation. 

Students placed on financial aid probation may become eligible for aid again once they have improved their academic performance to meet their program’s SAP standards. Students with extenuating circumstances may file a SAP appeal with their academic advisor, and if approved will become eligible for federal aid again.

Social Security Number

Student must provide a correct Social Security Number (SSN).

Selective Service

Male students have to be registered with Selective Service to receive federal financial aid. Registration should be completed between the ages of 18 and 25.

Selective Service can be reached at (847) 688-6888 for enrollment verification, or www.sss.gov.


A recent law suspends aid eligibility for students convicted under federal and state law of the sale or possession of drugs. Students with one or more convictions for such offenses are urged to call 1-800-4-FED-AID or (1-800-433- 3243) to find out if this law applies to them, and if so, what they must do to regain their eligibility for federal student financial aid. 

Entrance & Exit Counseling

Incoming students and first time loan borrowers need to complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note before applying for federal student loans. Please go to www.studentloans.gov.

Students who are graduating, withdrawing, or dropping below half time enrollment need to complete the Exit Test. Please go to www.studentloans.gov, click on tools and exit interview.